For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7 (Amplified)
What is fear? The dictionary defines fear as a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined. It is also the feeling or condition of being afraid. Fear brings out feelings of foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, and horror.
“Fear not” is a recurring theme/message throughout the Bible. This theme is there because God wants His children to know that they do not need to fear or be afraid because He is the all-powerful and all-knowing God that is in control of all things. He knows that we sometimes experience minor and even some major setbacks in this life. As Christians, we are called to face the setbacks of life without fear by placing our trust and faith in God, knowing that He will come through. When fear or panic strikes, always remember that God does not want us to struggle with fear. His Word is here to help us and give us peace in the midst of the struggle.
- Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and keep you with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice. Isaiah 41:10 (Amplified)
- Be strong, courageous, and firm; fear not nor be in terror before them, for it is the Lord your God Who goes with you; He will not fail you or forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6 (Amplified)
- And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28 (NKJV
- By [the help of] God I will praise His word; on God I lean, rely, and confidently put my trust; I will not fear. What can man, who is flesh, do to me? Psalm 56:4 (Amplified)
- The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? Psalm 118:6 (Amplified)
- After these things, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram, I am your Shield, your abundant compensation, and your reward shall be exceedingly great. Genesis 15:1 (Amplified)
It is easy to be afraid of many things in today’s world. We hear news reports about the economy, corruption, death and killing, car accidents, and the list goes on and on. But we must always remember that Jesus offers us a peace that is not like the world’s peace. In John 14:27 (Amplified), Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]”
- And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. Colossians 3:15 (Amplified)
- I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.] John 16:33 (Amplified)
Finally, if we put our minds on the things of the Lord, He will surely help us to fear not. Paul said in Philippians 4:8 (Amplified), “For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].”
Let us fix our mind on God so that He can give us peace like no other person can give us.
The Above Images are Courtesy of: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/